There are a bunch of books about dads in the world, but here are the top 18. Learn why these are the best Father’s Day books out there!
Father’s Day is coming up! I LOVE reading my kids books about dads. They’re fun, cute, funny, and almost always make me tear up. We love books about dads!
There are lots of Father’s Day books out there, so I got my hands on as many of them as I could, read them to my kids, and together we narrowed them down to the best so you don’t have to go searching through them all yourself!
Check out our top 18 and pick a few to add to your collection this year!
Father’s Day Board Books for Little Ones
- Dad Can Do Anything by Martin Thomas: This is a cute board book about the things a little elephant can’t do that his dad does for him. I put this one on the books for little ones list because it’s a board book, but this was in my eight-year-olds top three!
- My Dad Loves Me by Marianne Richmond: This book goes through all the different things dads do for their little ones, using various animals to illustrate the points. It’s short and simple and sweet!
- My Dad is Amazing by Sabrina Moyle: You’ll LOVE the bright colors and fun illustrations in this board book! It lists all the reasons Dad is amazing, but uses unique descriptions and super fun visuals. Kids are sure to love this!
- Daddy Hugs 123 by Karen Katz: I absolutely love this series by Karen Katz. They give plenty of opportunities to snuggle on your kids while you read! This one goes through ten different types of hugs from Dad. It’s adorable!
- Mighty Dads by Joan Holub: This one is super fun to read aloud! I love books with good rhythms and fun sounds and this one has both! It follows various little construction machines and their dad counterparts. It’s a cute, fun read!
- My Dad, My Hero by Ethan Long: This is a cute book about all the ways this dad doesn’t have super powers, but how he’s still his kid’s hero! Such a sweet read!
Best Stories About Dads
- With Dad, It’s Like That by Nadine Brun-Cosme: A cute story about what happens when Mom is gone and Dad is left alone for the bedtime routine. It’s a cute story that shows how parents may do things differently, but how each of them is special in their own way. My son loved this and found it read very true to his own personal experiences.
- Things to do with Dad by Sam Zuppardi: This is a mostly wordless book, which I’m usually not a huge fan of, but I thought this one was super cute and well done. It’s about a boy who wants to play with his dad, but his dad has a long list of things to do. Then he has a brilliant idea to turn the to-do list into a game and they have fun together tackling the rest of that to-do list!
- Dad and the Dinosaur by Gennifer Choldenko: I loved this story all about being brave and doing things that scare us, even if we need a little help along the way. This is a great read for kids who struggle with worries and fear!
- A Father’s Day Thank You by Janet Nolan: Honestly, I wasn’t sure about this one at first. The cover and title didn’t grab me, and right away I could see it was a longer read. There were a lot of words on each page, and we’re more of a quick and simple picture book family over here. But about halfway through, I changed my mind. We all loved this cute story about a little bear trying to figure out what to get his dad for Father’s Day!
Best Books About Why Dads are Awesome
- Made for Me by Zack Bush: This is the sweetest little story narrated by a dad who really really loves his child. If you’re anything like me, you might get a little teary-eyed reading this one!
- Dino-Daddy by Mark Sperring: This one is another fun read-aloud! It’s a rhyming book with good rhythm, and talks about all the ways Dad is so much fun. Plus, it has a few parts that made my son giggle hysterically!
- My Dad Thinks He’s Funny by Katrina Germein: A laugh out loud story! Seriously, I couldn’t even read some parts because I was laughing before I got them out! My son LOVED this one!
- Dad By My Side by Soosh: This book is written and illustrated by one of our favorite artists! It’s based on her art series featuring a dad and his daughter that melts my heart. A few years ago, I got my husband a print of hers for Father’s Day. I was thrilled to see she made a book out of her paintings. It’s adorable and so sweet! Seriously, her work brings tears to my eyes!
- When Dads Don’t Grow Up by Marjorie Blain Parker: This is a cute story all about the ways dads are willing to still be a kid. It’s what makes them so much fun! I love this one!
- Dad School by Rebecca Van Slyke: A cute speculation on what Dad School would be like and the kinds of things dads would learn there. It’s adorable!
- When A Dad Says, “I Love You.” by Douglas Wood: This is a cute roundup of different ways Dad says, “I love you!” that are more than just verbally saying the words. I thought this was really cute!
- With My Daddy by Jo Witek: This book follows a little girl as she shares the many different emotions she feels when she’s with her dad. I love this one! And I love that it doesn’t only focus on the good emotions. It also talks about some negative emotions and how her dad helps her deal with them.
Books About Dads
Those are our top 18 books about dads! These would all make cute gifts for Father’s Day (along with some of his favorite snacks, of course)! Or read them on or before Father’s Day. And, of course, they can all be read all year long. We love our collection of dad books around here!
What’s your favorite Father’s Day book?
For more holiday book roundups, check out these posts: